Password:

Forgot your password?
Hello, Menus ...

Hello, Menus ...
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Advanced Layout]
Secondary: None

Greetings. Pretty new here ... I'm coming off of 6 months of trying to teach myself php ... basically to create what this site offers ... but I have decided I would rather play wow than code, and this place looks fantastic, so first off, thanks for the cool site!

Second, www.horizon.dkpsystem.com ... is my site. Definitely a work in progress. What is amazing is how easily I was able to upload a previous layout I had been toying with for the php thing ...

Question tho :

How do I go about sprucing up the menues?

1. I would like to be able to add 5 or 6 links to the 40 pixel horizontal bar underneath the larger header image. Easy enough. I can just hardcode links in there ... but how would I go about getting the ADMIN link in there ... without giving it's access away (im assuming that link is hidden if you are not an admin on the regular list?)

2. A number of the features sites have a bit more "jazz" to their menus ... is there a tutorial around for that? Any pointers on where I might look to get into that?

EDIT:
3. Also, ... I did some modding to the layout file ... and then added the ventrillo menu thingie ... and it's not showing up. Anyone know the code to insert for that?

Thanks again,

Dj

--
Howdy! Glad you're diggin' your site and I must admit, I certainly dig the site you've got going there! Very nice!

For the admin link dealy being dynamic, you're going to want to use

<!--System:IfRank:X-->

<a href="admin.php">MY Admin Link</a>

<!--System:EndIfRank->

Where X is the maximum Rank ID you want to see the admin link (You can see the Rank ID of the Ranks at Admin > Ranks.

It looks like you're doing a pretty good job of getting most of your menus with a nice image there. The few that I've noticed that are not working are the "MEmbers Online" box. The thing to notice is that if you use <!--MEnu:Title--> In the image name, there are a few that won't work (like Members online and the "Logged In" box), simply because those titles are dynamically named. You're going to want to use the <--Menu:StaticName--> option.

Finally, for the ventrilo status thing, it works no differently than the other <!--System:Menu:xyz--> commands. Head to Admin > Custom Menus, and see what the title of the Ventrilo Status menu is on your site, and then be sure to use that in place of "xyz".

--
It's all in the reflexes.
Quote by Chops
Howdy! Glad you're diggin' your site and I must admit, I certainly dig the site you've got going there! Very nice!

For the admin link dealy being dynamic, you're going to want to use

<!--System:IfRank:X-->

<a href="admin.php">MY Admin Link</a>

<!--System:EndIfRank->

Where X is the maximum Rank ID you want to see the admin link (You can see the Rank ID of the Ranks at Admin > Ranks.

It looks like you're doing a pretty good job of getting most of your menus with a nice image there. The few that I've noticed that are not working are the "MEmbers Online" box. The thing to notice is that if you use <!--MEnu:Title--> In the image name, there are a few that won't work (like Members online and the "Logged In" box), simply because those titles are dynamically named. You're going to want to use the <--Menu:StaticName--> option.

Finally, for the ventrilo status thing, it works no differently than the other <!--System:Menu:xyz--> commands. Head to Admin > Custom Menus, and see what the title of the Ventrilo Status menu is on your site, and then be sure to use that in place of "xyz".

Thanks a ton! That all looks pretty straight forward!

--
Something I just tried to do and it doesn't seem possible, unless I am doing it wrong ... I created a dynamic page, and tried to stick the DkP menus into the page ... Basically the idea being that I would like to stick a link on the top bar that simply says : DkP ... and when you press it, it brings up sort of a "main page" for all of the DkP on the site. I am guessing it doesn't parse in the menu data at that point in the code? Is that at all possible?

--
I'm afraid not. The Static Pages don't parse the Advanced LAyout Commands.

You'll just want to make the links yourself, ie:

<A href="dkpmember.php?dkpsystemid=1">Current Standings for XYZ DKP System</a>

--
It's all in the reflexes.
Ok, so I am going nuts here ... Site is just about done, but for some reason, the html is forcing spaces in around the sword Hilt ... or the menus around it ... Anyone have a second or two to take a quick pass through the source and see if anything stands out?

Thanks,
Dj

--

[Back to Index]