Password:

Forgot your password?
Can we not use PHP?

Can we not use PHP?
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Advanced Layout]
Secondary: None

This is probably a nub-cakes question but I am trying to build a header using php and it is not working. I have uploaded everything to another site that I have hosted through another company and it came up fine, so I am pretty sure it is not my code. Is php not enabled for users to utilize? Oh and just btw, i am the guy they 'decided' would help build our guild website. www.sunridersdestiny.com
Quote by Oxavian
This is probably a nub-cakes question but I am trying to build a header using php and it is not working. I have uploaded everything to another site that I have hosted through another company and it came up fine, so I am pretty sure it is not my code. Is php not enabled for users to utilize? Oh and just btw, i am the guy they 'decided' would help build our guild website. www.sunridersdestiny.com

No PHP is not accessible by the user.

--
Six Demon BagRefresh This Item
Jack Burton: Hey, what more can a guy ask for?
Egg Shen: Oh, a six-demon bag!
Jack Burton: Terrific, a six-demon bag. Sensational. What's in it, Egg?
Egg Shen: Wind, fire, all that kind of thing!
Quote by Saudorun
Quote by Oxavian

No PHP is not accessible by the user.

Doh! So then what would I build a header with? HTML and then use CSS to place it?
Ok, using the standard site, you can create a logo for the top of the page, and upload that using the admin menu, under logo.

Now if you are wanting to completely redesign the top of your site, you are going to have to use the advanced layout options. You create a html file that forms a template of sorts for displaying your site.

Look through the advanced layout posts, and you will get a feel for how this works. Essentially you download the current layout file for your site, and change it, and then re-upload it. Once you are happy, you can commit the changes.

--
Eleipher, The Warlock Extraordinaire
The New Beginning
Thorium Brother Hood

Guild Webmaster
Quote by carlpalmer
Ok, using the standard site, you can create a logo for the top of the page, and upload that using the admin menu, under logo.

Now if you are wanting to completely redesign the top of your site, you are going to have to use the advanced layout options. You create a html file that forms a template of sorts for displaying your site.

Look through the advanced layout posts, and you will get a feel for how this works. Essentially you download the current layout file for your site, and change it, and then re-upload it. Once you are happy, you can commit the changes.

I guess it is just a bit confusing because I can't test it unless I upload everything. I guess I am used to test locally is all. Thanks for the help.
Quote by Oxavian

I guess it is just a bit confusing because I can't test it unless I upload everything. I guess I am used to test locally is all. Thanks for the help.

There is a Test functionality though... so while you do Upload it, DKPSystem doesn't perform the changes to your Production version until you tell it to do so.

In other words:
  1. Upload changes
  2. Click Test It! to test your changes
  3. When satisfied, submit your changes to be used in production.[ol]

Admittedly, it is a bit different, especially if you are used to coding locally with real Server-side scripts.

You just need to view it like you would if you were working on code for a remote system: Modify the code, then upload it and see what it does.

In this case, you at least have the convenient intermediary step of testing before you deploy for production.

--
It's all in the reflexes.
For testing locally, what I did was set up the remote file, and replace the template comments with the actual code that would be put into them. That way my local copy has all of the code in it already, then I went and editted the template files to match my changes.

This method has its limitations obviously, but if you want to see what a particular page will look like (the News page, e.g.) then open it up, copy the code into an HTML file, and edit that. Once you get it how you like, drop the necessary pieces into the template files. =)

Since we can't use any server-side scripting in the pages, you can run everything locally just fine.

--
. : Keela
Designer of www.renewal-guild.com
Alright, thanks everyone for your input. I will try it.
Quote by Oxavian
Alright, thanks everyone for your input. I will try it.

Additionally, if you're testing CSS / layout changes, here's a trick to test locally ...
  1. Traverse to the guild page you wish to use as your test, and save it locally (making sure to save as separate files, and not a blecherous IE archive).
  2. You will have a directory containing your CSS files. You can edit them and see the changes to your local copy by reloading the local copy in your browser.
  3. To make changes in the advanced layout options is more tricky. Essentially, you have to look at the generated source, and see where "your" stuff ends, and the embedded tables from DKPSystem begin. Then, make changes only in "your" sections of the page. Reload when done, and see if it worked (and verify that you didn't break something). If it worked, retrofit your changes to the appropriate advanced layout file and reupload it.

Wordy. I hope that made sense If not, I'll be glad to write down a detailed explanation of what I just said for folks. Testing locally cut the time needed for me to edit the web site *amazingly*.

D

[Back to Index]