Forgot your password?
GRSS = Account bans?

GRSS = Account bans?
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Support]
Secondary: None

Hi Chops

The new verison of GRSS mode that comes with EXE file, is this considered a 3rd party programme?

Myself and my officers downloaded and installed this mod a days ago, now 3 of my officers have had there accounts banned for using 3rd party programmes. I know for a fact they are not botters or use any other MOD's. I have told my officer to remove the programme as these were 3 key guild members that have recieved perm bans...

I wanted to know your thoughts on this.
Hi Chops

The new verison of GRSS mode that comes with EXE file, is this considered a 3rd party programme?

Myself and my officers downloaded and installed this mod a days ago, now 3 of my officers have had there accounts banned for using 3rd party programmes. I know for a fact they are not botters or use any other MOD's. I have told my officer to remove the programme as these were 3 key guild members that have recieved perm bans...

I wanted to know your thoughts on this.

I don't see how it could personally. The EXE does not run while WOW is running. If they got banned for using a 3rd party program and they feel it is invalid then I would say they need to ask Blizzard what it was. If Blizzard is banning them they have to be detecting something and thus should be able to provide something relative to the signature of the 3rd party program that prompted banning them. I have been using GRSS for quite awhile and nothing has happened to me. It is also key to note that your not really using the EXE while the game if running or at least you shouldn't be. You run it and download the information and then start wow and it loads all the newly downloaded GRSS data.

Typically a 3rd party program has to affect game play in some form (to the best of my knowledge) to constitute a ban. It has to be doing something detectable to the server side interaction from the client. A mod is capable of doing this but blizzard locked a lot of those functions down making it hard to do with out EXE botting something. There are things that block you form AFK disconnects. We have a guildie that uses one and it is a bannable program.

Just now as a test I made a folder on my desktop called GRSSDownloader and moved the .exe, .pl, and the url.txt files out of the addons folder and into that folder. The ran fine from there and I was able to move the GRSS_Data.lua file into the addon's folder. This should isolate the GRSS EXE completely from WOW not that it wasn't already..

--
Six Demon BagRefresh This Item
Jack Burton: Hey, what more can a guy ask for?
Egg Shen: Oh, a six-demon bag!
Jack Burton: Terrific, a six-demon bag. Sensational. What's in it, Egg?
Egg Shen: Wind, fire, all that kind of thing!
I doubt that the GRSS program would be considered some sort of violating 3rd party app. From what I've read, blizzard's 3rd party app stuff has gotten out of hand lately, with them auto-banning people. I have one other friend whose account just got banned, and he doesn't do anything, not even the GRSS.

Saud's suggestion about moving the GRSS program isn't a bad idea, just in case, but I doubt it was the GRSS that triggered the bans.

Here's a story about Blizzard's banning thing: http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/06/11/15/1652222.shtml

I strongly suggest contacting blizzard and putting as much pressure as possible on them to get those bans lifted.

This is the URL for disputing bans: http://www.blizzard.com/support/wowaa/

The email address to contact is wowaccountadmin@blizzard.com

Edit: The GRSS program doesn't violate anything listed here

--
It's all in the reflexes.
Thx very much for the info.
Yea the 3rd party program has to be in such as way that it is ran like a "Cheating" program, such as hacking into quest codes or manipulating the system and such, grss is nothing more than an end game dkp system, to regulate the guild "economy". Not say it isn't a good program just not a 3rd party program

--
The exe is like any other program installed on your computer. Microsoft Word for example. It does not interact with WOW in any way. It simply downloads data that WOW can access.

--
Eleipher, The Warlock Extraordinaire
The New Beginning
Thorium Brother Hood

Guild Webmaster
talked with a GM today and he said he couldnt confirm if this wouldn't affect me: he said any exe used with WoW except WOW.exe is a third party program that u can be banned for :s crap

--
designer of http://aszune.dkpsystem.com
talked with a GM today and he said he couldnt confirm if this wouldn't affect me: he said any exe used with WoW except WOW.exe is a third party program that u can be banned for :s crap

Well, looks like I'll have to see if I can talk to Blizzard to make sure this doesn't get "blacklisted" or anything like that.

--
u guys running the perl script instead is safer?

--
designer of http://aszune.dkpsystem.com

The perl script wouldn't really make a difference, since it's still going to have to run an executable (perl.exe). Blizzard's generalization of "Any Exe" has numerous logical flaws, just as Saud pointed out that even "Microsoft Word" is technically a 3rd party application to WoW.

So, here's my official advice:

1) Close WoW
2) Run GetGRSSDKP.exe and download the data
3) Open WoW

Then, you're not running anything "With WoW"

--

The perl script wouldn't really make a difference, since it's still going to have to run an executable (perl.exe). Blizzard's generalization of "Any Exe" has numerous logical flaws, just as Saud pointed out that even "Microsoft Word" is technically a 3rd party application to WoW.

So, here's my official advice:

1) Close WoW
2) Run GetGRSSDKP.exe and download the data
3) Open WoW

Then, you're not running anything "With WoW"

But after, there is dkp spent, do we need to do a grss upload to have the current totals?... logging out while in an instance could be a bad thing as the leader of the raid

--
But after, there is dkp spent, do we need to do a grss upload to have the current totals?... logging out while in an instance could be a bad thing as the leader of the raid

Conveniently, the GRSS updates it's own internal values as you go, so you don't need to update anything.

After the raid, when you upload the Attendance Snapshots, it also imports Loot.

--

Conveniently, the GRSS updates it's own internal values as you go, so you don't need to update anything.

After the raid, when you upload the Attendance Snapshots, it also imports Loot.

CHOPS.... YOU ARE AMAZING

--

[Back to Index]