Password:

Forgot your password?
Registering/Create A Character/Application - =-Make them One in the Same-=-

Registering/Create A Character/Application - =-Make them One in the Same-=-
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Suggestions]
Secondary: None

I was wondering if there is any chance that when a person registers and/or makes an application that at the same time they are creating a character.

Its a real pain in the butt if someone registers but then doesn't create a character. Then you have to chase them down to create one and it makes it a pain.

Also,if accounts were linked together when I delete a member removed it would also delete them on the roster as well. Currently I had to go through the Accounts list AND the roster and delete members off both. Just a pain to deal with.

Another thing is if I change the Rank on the account I would think that it would make sence for it to do the same on the roster(or charater). Again, right now I have tochange access on Account AND Roster.

Again, if someone makes an application forcing them to create a character would save time so we wouldn't have to accpet them THEN have them go back and create a character.

If all Registering/Character Creation/Application were one thing it would streamline the process making things alot less of a headache.

Been with you for a bit now Chops and your sites a blessing. I would love you for life if you could make those all 1. Great Job and keep up the good work !!
I was wondering if there is any chance that when a person registers and/or makes an application that at the same time they are creating a character.

Great Idea minus the connection with the Application.

Its a real pain in the butt if someone registers but then doesn't create a character. Then you have to chase them down to create one and it makes it a pain.

This would make things a bit easier when a New Member to the guild creates an account then doesn't read any further to create the character with it. One problem with this is if they create an Account they may not use an Account name that matches their ingame Name. At which point you still have to have them go back and create character that matches the ingame name and associate it to the Account. Or if their ingame name is in the roster already from a roster upload, you will still have to go back and associate it to the Account.

Also,if accounts were linked together when I delete a member removed it would also delete them on the roster as well. Currently I had to go through the Accounts list AND the roster and delete members off both. Just a pain to deal with.

Problem I see with this is you delete the Character and the Account is that Character may be listed in the DKP database, you no longer have an easy way to remove them from the DKP Standings. Cause there would no longer be an Account or Character associated to it. I had this problem once and had to recreate a character before removing it from the DKP list. Instead just deactive or place into retirement that Account/Character and it removes it from showing up in the DKP list. Disabling the Account will also deny any further logins on the site.

Another thing is if I change the Rank on the account I would think that it would make sence for it to do the same on the roster(or charater). Again, right now I have tochange access on Account AND Roster.

This one would be nice =)

Again, if someone makes an application forcing them to create a character would save time so we wouldn't have to accpet them THEN have them go back and create a character.

Absolutely not. I, speaking for myself and mysite, only allow Guild Member to have account access privledges to the site. I don't want just anyone who fills out an application to force an account creation that I would have to go back to and deny cause they aren't a member yet or wont be a member at all. I would rather tell them at the time we give them the /ginvite to go to the site to create the account making sure it matches the ingame name followed by creating their ingame character for the site. Forcing an Account creation at the time they fill out an application is more of a headache. Now if you can do this and have an admin selectable option to enable it for those who want it, excellent I would be all for it.

If all Registering/Character Creation/Application were one thing it would streamline the process making things alot less of a headache.

Only if there was a way to customize it for the individual sites. Otherwise it would create more headaches rather than fewer.

--
Sreh
There are no plans to integrate the Character creation or Account creation with the Application, for exactly the reasons Saud listed. However, integrating the Character Creation with the Account creation process has been something I've bounced around for a while. Right now, when someone logs in for the first time, it'll say "You don't have any characters yet. To create a character clickc [Create a Character] under the Login menu."

That will have to do for now, but there are plans to eventually tie those two processes together more closely in the future.

As for tying the changes of Rank what whatnot between accounts, that's also on the plate.

--
It's all in the reflexes.
something to bug the person when they log in is what would rock. A pop up or something each time they load a page...
something to bug the person when they log in is what would rock. A pop up or something each time they load a page...

I agree here. I would love to be able to flag someone account and have it give them a popup warning with what I say they need to do. Update your character, create a character....

--
Six Demon BagRefresh This Item
Jack Burton: Hey, what more can a guy ask for?
Egg Shen: Oh, a six-demon bag!
Jack Burton: Terrific, a six-demon bag. Sensational. What's in it, Egg?
Egg Shen: Wind, fire, all that kind of thing!
I've also given thought to possibly making it an addition to the Alert System. But you have to be careful. You don't want ot piss off your users so they don't come to the site anymore.

--
I've also given thought to possibly making it an addition to the Alert System. But you have to be careful. You don't want ot piss off your users so they don't come to the site anymore.

This is why one of the first unanimous requests from our Officers was a ticker. I don't know if it is possible with the system you run to make it a feature available for everyone but I can tell you of at least 4 messages I have recieved asking me how I got one.

A ticker gives a nice quick eye catchy way to let people know of a few top things they need to look out for.

--
That IS a good idea, actually. I should look into implementing something like that. I'd use pure javascript though, as I don't want to build a reliance on unnecessary addons like flash or java applets.

--
There are no plans to integrate the Character creation or Account creation with the Application, for exactly the reasons Saud listed. However, integrating the Character Creation with the Account creation process has been something I've bounced around for a while. Right now, when someone logs in for the first time, it'll say "You don't have any characters yet. To create a character clickc [Create a Character] under the Login menu."

That will have to do for now, but there are plans to eventually tie those two processes together more closely in the future.

As for tying the changes of Rank what whatnot between accounts, that's also on the plate.

hehe shouldn't that read "reason "Sreh" listed?

--
Sreh

yeah I was thinking the same thing but figured I'd give you a chance to chime in first. LOL

--

yeah I was thinking the same thing but figured I'd give you a chance to chime in first. LOL

ya lol

--
Sreh

ya lol

My apologies. I'm retarded.

--

You would be surprised how many people DON'T create a character when they make the account. I'dhave to say that only 60% actually do. Even after I instruct them to make one. FTL lol

Maybe having a pop-up box until they create one is one way of doing it. But Ultimetly, they have to. So why not make it 1 process instead of 2?

I can understand the application thing

Problem I see with this is you delete the Character and the Account is that Character may be listed in the DKP database, you no longer have an easy way to remove them from the DKP Standings. Cause there would no longer be an Account or Character associated to it. I had this problem once and had to recreate a character before removing it from the DKP list. Instead just deactive or place into retirement that Account/Character and it removes it from showing up in the DKP list. Disabling the Account will also deny any further logins on the site.

I can understand keeping a character on the roster and/or DKP site. But, lets say that character leaves your group/guild, you would delete him no?? We do and having the ability that when you delete the account it also deletes someone off the roster. I mean, if your deleting there account why should they be on the roster and/or DKP site.

EDIT: Think I misread. The point of this was that if you delete the account it should delete all characters created that would appear on the DKP Listing AND Roster. AKA: Any information associated with the account should be removed when the account is deleted.

At least having an option that if we delete an account it also deletes the Character would be nice

[Back to Index]