Logged Out
Create an Account
Login:
Password:

Forgot your password?
Serious Internet Explorer Bug, targeting primarily game players and their passwords

Serious Internet Explorer Bug, targeting primarily game players and their passwords
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [General]
Secondary: None

The flaw in Microsoft's Internet Explorer could allow criminals to take control of people's computers and steal their passwords, internet experts say.

Microsoft says it has detected attacks against IE 7.0 but said the "underlying vulnerability" was present in all versions of the browser.

Other browsers, such as Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Safari, are not vulnerable to the flaw Microsoft has identified.

As many as 10,000 websites have been compromised since the vulnerability was discovered, he said.

"What we've seen from the exploit so far is it stealing game passwords, but it's inevitable that it will be adapted by criminals," he said. "It's just a question of modifying the payload the trojan installs."

If you have users who are currently running Internet Explorer, it's strongly recommended that they switch to an alternative Browser (at least temporarily) until this problem is fixed. Be aware that this is a bug present in ALL version of IE, at least back to 5.5 (which is like 10 years old) all the way up the new 8.0 beta .

Some popular alternative browsers for your users to check out that are safe:

Mozilla Firefox
Opera
Apple Safari
Google Chrome

--
It's all in the reflexes.
Chops - TY for the RL email and warning.
I have already alerted my guild.

Could you send out another notice when MS fixes this?

Thank You
Rollac [GM of Big Business - Arathor]
Well that expalins why our guild saw one hacked account every other day for 2 weeks straight.

It was intersting to note that all the tech guys in the guild did not get hacked. Likely because of useing other browsers and knowing to never use the same password twice, may have helped.

Got to be the worst news for MS having to tell everyone to use some other browser thats the end of IE, thankfully.
Well that expalins why our guild saw one hacked account every other day for 2 weeks straight.

Ouch. That's crazy.

--
It's all in the reflexes.
FYI:

Microsoft released an urgent security update today for Internet Explorer on all currently supported versions of Windows.

Download the updates for your home computer or laptop from the Microsoft Update Web site now.

Here is the new security update:

â?¢ MS08-078 - addresses a vulnerability in Internet Explorer (KB 960714)

Both myself and my daughter were compromised by this bug (not once but twice) before it was identified by microsoft. I've lost an account with blizzard for WoW that i've been playing on for the last 3 years and reduced to starting over while i now have to jump through blizzard's hoops to get my daughter's account rectified. We've ordered blizzard's authenticators to help with keeping our accounts even more secure. I would highly recommend those to others as well.

[Back to Index]