Password:

Forgot your password?
2 Questions, if you please.....

2 Questions, if you please.....
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Tickets]
Secondary: [Support] [Tickets]

Sorry in advance for being such a noob...

How can I delete the Popular Threads at the top of my site?

ALSO,

I want to change the backgroud of my News Posts to be more transparent....how do I do that?(www.durabilityzero.com)

Thanks,
Kim

Argh!!!...a few more things...

I have some users who use IE from their job and they say my site looks awful, the transparent panels are messed up.....so I downloaded IE and it's fine. I was thinking maybe a firewall was messing theirs up?

Also, my favorite thread image is screwing up....u know how I can fix it? they are showing up grey and red.... I wouldnt mind tuning off the Favorites column all together either. (**I FIXED IT)

Lastly, My bullet image isnt showing up next to my list items in my menus...is it the template I'm using?
Quote by Kimbelea
How can I delete the Popular Threads at the top of my site?

You'll want to modify the layout.html file (in the Advanced Layout Options) and look for the code <!--System:PopularThreads-->

I want to change the backgroud of my News Posts to be more transparent....how do I do that?(www.durabilityzero.com)

For this, you'll need to modify the CSS and the .list1 and .list2 classes (which are universal alternating list classes). Are you looking for partial transparency, or just completely removing the background altogether?

I have some users who use IE from their job and they say my site looks awful, the transparent panels are messed up.....so I downloaded IE and it's fine. I was thinking maybe a firewall was messing theirs up?

They might be using IE6, which doesn't handle partial transparency very well at all.

We have an IE6-PNG Transparency script if you'd like to tack it to the bottom of your layout file, which MIGHT work, but keep in mind, it's beta. You'd want to add the following code to the bottom of your layout.html:

<!--[if lt IE 7]>
<script defer type="text/javascript" src="pngfix.js"></script>
<![endif]-->

Also, my favorite thread image is screwing up....u know how I can fix it? they are showing up grey and red.... I wouldnt mind tuning off the Favorites column all together either. (**I FIXED IT)

At the moment, the Favorites column cannot be disabled, but you'll be able to do it after the new Forum rewrite is complete (it will require more HTML modifying, but it's doable, though not recommended by any means, since it removes functionality).

Lastly, My bullet image isnt showing up next to my list items in my menus...is it the template I'm using?

That particular template does not utilize a bullet image. This would require a tweak to the CSS. It looks like you tried sticking a change in the CSS, and you had the right idea, but it wasn't enough, unfortunately, due to some quirks of the template.

If you look in the CSS, you'll see this rule:

.MenuLi {
	list-style-image: url('http://dkpfiles.com/dkp-templates/glass/px.gif');
	list-style-position: inside;
	width: 100%;
	margin-left: 0px;
	font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
	font-weight: bold;
	font-size: 9pt;
	color: #FFFFFF;
}

Simply changing the list-style-image url to http://dkpfiles.com/durabilityzero/list will accomplish what you're looking to do.

--
It's all in the reflexes.
OK...I fixed the bullets, although they look a bit to far over to the right...don't you think? But anyway...thanks!

Dumb question...where is the HTML file? LOL...I have only been editing the CSS file up to this point.

If I knew where that was I could fix the Popular Threads thing, no problem (I think)

I'm afraid making the news posts transparent may be over my head. I just want to make it semi-transparent....so you can see the image behind but still read the text clearly.

Also I can add the script (beta) if i knew where the HTML file was.
This is found in Admin > Layout > Advanced Layout Options.

I had linked to the "Advanced Layout Options Guide" above, but I'll relink it here for you. This is a walkthrough of how to use the Advanced Layout Options: http://www.dkpsystem.com/guide/AdvancedLayoutOptions

--
Quote by Chops
This is found in Admin > Layout > Advanced Layout Options.

I had linked to the "Advanced Layout Options Guide" above, but I'll relink it here for you. This is a walkthrough of how to use the Advanced Layout Options: http://www.dkpsystem.com/guide/AdvancedLayoutOptions

Well now it looks like my site exploded
Alrighty, it's important to never EVER click "Go Live" without first disabling your popup blocker and clicking "Test It" first. Otherwise, you could be deploying something that completely breaks your site. The advanced layout options are pretty unforgiving.

You ended up modifying the Default layout (which usually happens when you click "Generate Layout and Menu File" while you have a drop-in template enabled - that page recommends against doing that).

In any case, I've reverted your layout and added the changes necessary for you (the IE script and disabled the Popular Threads).

--
Bless you...I thought I was going to have to start over...

About the transparency issue, do I just need to change the color numbers in the .list1 and .list2 part of the CSS or delete them completely?
Here's the thing about transparency with CSS. You need to use a partially transparent image to make it work. If you use pure CSS to make a background partially transparent, the child objects (anything inside that object) will inherit that transparency too, making everything partially transparent. That's not what you want for sure.

The solution, to ensure compatibility, is to use a partially transparent PNG image as the background. I'm not sure how familiar you are with graphic manipulation software (GIMP, Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop, etc), but that's what you'd likely need to make the transparent images.

We currently only have one partially transparent image available for anyone to use. Here

--
Thought I would let you know what I came up with.....I was just playing with the CSS...and I changed the # to B before the color in the .list1 and .list2 to read B000000 (instead of #000000)

It got me to the transparency I wanted AND got rid of the alternating colors (black background, grey background, alternating with every other post ), since I changed both.
B000000

I'm embarrassed to say I've never heard of this before. I just learned something. I'll have to read up on that option (It's not even mentioned in my CSS books).

--
Lol...my husband came up with that one lol

One more thing...

Is there any way to individually change the colors of the text in one particular side menu (such as account names currently online)? I dont want to change all of them.
Is there any way to individually change the colors of the text in one particular side menu (such as account names currently online)? I dont want to change all of them.

At the moment, no. What did you have in mind?

--
[QUOTE=Chops]
What did you have in mind?

I was just thinking that the name person online (in the "who's online" section) would look cool if the color was changed to #3399ff, for my particular page.

I was just thinking that the name person online (in the "who's online" section) would look cool if the color was changed to #3399ff, for my particular page.

Oh that. Yeah, that can be done. Add this to your CSS.

.onlinemember a:link{
color:#3399ff
}

--
.onlinemember a:link{
color:#3399ff
}

Awesome thanks, it worked like a charm...and since I am getting away with being so utterly annoying (I promise it will stop)...I was wondering if the colors of the countdown can be changed. Right now they are Gold, Silver and Copper....we were thinking more along the lines of Blue, Light Blue and White.

And my husband would like to know if it is possible for the timer colors to change depending on how close to the event you are...say like if there are 48 hours or more until event it would be one color, 48-24 another color, and less than 24 hours another color?

Either one of these would be great.
Both of those can be done, but now you're getting into some semi-advanced scripting.

The functionality is done in this file: http://dkpfiles.com/dkp-templates/glass/glass.js

You can see the colors as they are displayed there, and you are free to copy this file, modify it, and upload it to your site. You'll then need to change the line in the layout.html file (again, Advanced Layout Options)

<script language="javascript" src="http://dkpfiles.com/dkp-templates/glass/glass.js"></script>

...to point to the newly uploaded.

Changing the colors themselves would be trivial, if you look at the code, but making it change based on the amount of time left becomes a bit more complicated if you are new to programming.

--

[Back to Index]