Forgot your password?
Calendar Data Feed Request

Calendar Data Feed Request
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Suggestions]
Secondary: None

Hey,

I'm an addon author and help Gawin maintain the Benevolent Thuggery Site here @ dkpsystem.

As Gawin mentioned in another thread, we've recently switched over from Group Calendar to the DKPSystem.com calendar system. One of the things we miss is the rich in-game calendar and inviting system that Group Calendar has.

So I've been working on creating an addon to help. (Yes, I know about the GuildRaidSnapshot mod, but it isn't quite what we're looking for.)

One of the things I've been looking at is the data available to me in the GRSS_Data.lua file and I was wondering if I can get more/different data via another URL endpoint.

Ideally, it would be a URL that returns to me a Lua table containing the next N days (7?) of calendar events w/ full details and signup information.

The table could be as simple as this:

DkpSystemCalendar = {
["Events"] = {
{
["Date"] = "2007-09-14 10:00pm",
["CreatedBy"] = "Quaiche",
["Name"] = "Late Shift",
["Category"] = "Karazhan",
["MinimumRank"] = "70",
["SignupStart"] = "",
["SignupEnd"] = "2007-09-14 10:00pm",
["Description"] = "",
["RaidMakeup"] = {
["MaxSize"] = 10,
["Type"] = "Role",
["RangedDPS"] = { 2, 4 },
["Healer"] = { 3, 3 },
["Tank"] = { 2,2 },
["Melee"] = { 1,4 },
},
["Participants"] = {
["Approved"] = { "Quaiche", "Jaynn", "Holyrob" },
["WaitingList"] = { "Horric", "Druman", "Pequod" },
["Pending"] = { "Shaeonyn", "Aerix", "Zyurach", "Clavain", "Gaskett" },
["Denied"] = { "Zenarimus" },
}
},

{
["Date"] = "2007-09-15 10:00pm",
["CreatedBy"] = "Quaiche",
["Name"] = "Late Shift",
["Category"] = "Karazhan",
["MinimumRank"] = "70",
["SignupStart"] = "",
["SignupEnd"] = "2007-09-14 10:00pm",
["Description"] = "",
["RaidMakeup"] = {
["MaxSize"] = 10,
["Type"] = "Class",
["Druid"] = { 1,3 },
["Hunter" ] = { 1,1 },
["Mage"] = { 1,2 },
["Paladin"] = { 1,2 },
["Priest"] = { 2,3 },
["Rogue"] = { 1,2 },
["Shaman"] = { 0,1 },
["Warlock"] = { 0,2 },
["Warrior"] = { 1,2 },
["Unknown"] = { 0,0 },
},
["Participants"] = {
["Approved"] = { "Quaiche", "Jaynn", "Holyrob" },
["WaitingList"] = { "Horric", "Druman", "Pequod" },
["Pending"] = { "Shaeonyn", "Aerix", "Zyurach", "Clavain", "Gaskett" },
["Denied"] = { "Zenarimus" },
}
}
}
}

If returning XML or something else is easier, I can figure that out, but the ideal (and least painful from my end of course) is to have the Lua table already setup, just as you did for GRSS.

Also, I don't think the RaidMakeup part is really all that important, but the Participants part is very important to let me create a nice invite system and to let people see what their status is from within the game.

As it stands, I'm getting started by just consuming the available data in GPRSS_Data.lua provided today, but I would like to have more.

Thanks for your consideration!

--Q

--
Quaiche - Addon Author, Druid, and Guild Leader for Benevolent Thuggery on Dragonblight
Just to make sure you know. DKPSystem.com supports Group Calendar. you don't have to give up using it. Chops has an importer in place that will read in the data from Group Calendar to display it on the site. This means you can keep using that mod and just disable signups via the site. Use the site as a central display point for the data out of the game.

--
Six Demon BagRefresh This Item
Jack Burton: Hey, what more can a guy ask for?
Egg Shen: Oh, a six-demon bag!
Jack Burton: Terrific, a six-demon bag. Sensational. What's in it, Egg?
Egg Shen: Wind, fire, all that kind of thing!
No, that is what we were doing and gave up on it.

The fact is, the in-game capabilities for distributed databases is poor at best and GC was consistently losing data and people were getting burned on lost signups. Also, a lot of people wanted to be able to sign up from work without having to login to the game.

So we gave up and went web-based. But what we want back is a nice "Invitation Picker" and an in-game calendar to see what runs you are signed up for.

--
Quaiche - Addon Author, Druid, and Guild Leader for Benevolent Thuggery on Dragonblight
The fact is, the in-game capabilities for distributed databases is poor at best and GC was consistently losing data and people were getting burned on lost signups. Also, a lot of people wanted to be able to sign up from work without having to login to the game.

That was always my complaint with it. All it takes is 1 bad setting and a person to do things they don't know what they are messing with and poof you lose it all.

--
Six Demon BagRefresh This Item
Jack Burton: Hey, what more can a guy ask for?
Egg Shen: Oh, a six-demon bag!
Jack Burton: Terrific, a six-demon bag. Sensational. What's in it, Egg?
Egg Shen: Wind, fire, all that kind of thing!
So... I'm a member of the Ace addon community and have started making something against the existing data feed. I will be sure to share it with everyone here once it is working and stable, but again, if I can get more/better data, I can seriously improve the in-game experience.

--
I can definitely add some kind of support for that. The format you've provided seems simple enough.

If you build it assuming that data will be available in that format, I'll build the page for it. I'll be happy to build the downloader as well, if you don't mind.

--
It's all in the reflexes.
Very cool! Thanks Chops!

I'll start reworking my code against that data structure. Drop me a PM or a note on this thread when you have a feed for me to test out. We can worry about the downloader once we get this part done.

--Q

--

[Back to Index]