Password:

Forgot your password?
Site being targeted by scammers?

Site being targeted by scammers?
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Support]
Secondary: None

This is mostly a head's up for other site owners but also for Chops, in the very off chance that there is anything he can do to curb this from happening. Today in my email I received the following message:

Greetings,

An investigation of your World of Warcraft account has found strong evidence that the account in question is being sold or traded. As you may not be aware of, this conflicts with Blizzard's EULA under section 4 Paragraph B which can be found here: LINK REMOVED FOR SAFETY
and Section 8 of the Terms of Use found here:
LINK REMOVED FOR SAFETY

The investigation will be continued by Blizzard administration to determine the action to be taken against your account. If your account is found violating the EULA and Terms of Use, your account can, and will be suspended/closed/or terminated.
In order to keep this from occurring, you should immediately verify that you are the original owner of the account.

To verify your identity please visit the following webpage:
LINK REMOVED FOR SAFETY
Only Account Administration will be able to assist with account retrieval issues. Thank you for your time and attention to this matter, and your continued interest in World of Warcraft.

Sincerely,

Account Administration
Blizzard Entertainment

I've been around long enough to spot a phishing email right off the bat, links redirected to a non-wow address, reply email from a non-official wow address, etc.

HOWEVER, what took me by surprise was the list of email addressed that the email was sent to. Not only to myself, but to 6 other individuals, all from my guild, all of which who list their email addressed on the website that tells people how to contact them via IM.

The key thing here, is that when it comes to wow, I use a particular email address for everything and the email address this was sent to is NOT that address and is listed in only one place that has anything to do with wow, and that's on the IM info on my dkpsystems website. I totally understand that IM addressed being listed to the public are prone to misuse but it worries me greatly that someone might actually be targeting dkpsystem websites for this type of use.

So, mostly just a head's up, remind your guildies NOT to click on these links and on the off chance that I'm not paranoid and it has to do with them targeting dkpsystems, just letting Chops know.

FYI: wasn't sure if this was the right thread tag to use and sorry for rambling, haven't had enough coffee. Let me know if there's something else I can do to help.
Thank you for the heads up.

That's why it's always a good idea to make sure email addresses are only viewable in the Guild Only areas (like Guild Only Thread Tag).

--
It's all in the reflexes.
Is there a setting that I'm not aware of? Because I am pretty sure that the email addresses were taken from the place right near your avatar that allows people to IM you. If there is an option to hide that part of the IM info on public posts, then please tell me, because I have not found it.
I misunderstood your issue. I thought they were getting harvested from posts, rather than from the profile.

That's one of the unfortunate drawbacks to the msn messenger. MSN Messenger wants the email address, and if it's to be publicly clickable, that's the issue.

For now, if they put in their MSN messenger id, it could be picked up.

Though it would be reasonable to add the ability to hide the IM information from non-members of the site. That would help to alleviate that particular issue.

--
It's all in the reflexes.

[Back to Index]