Password:

Forgot your password?
Tying Alts to Main

Tying Alts to Main
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Support]
Secondary: [Suggestions]

Any possibility of you adding something that would force the Main account to always be the one to get or spend DKP regardless of what toon they are on or loot an item with?

We have a variety of raids where 90% of the loot ends up going to Alts, however, DKp is only awarded to or removed from main accounts. Rather than having to select the main from a drop down for 30+ peices of loot on a 6 hour run, it would be great if there was some check box or something that the admin could select that would auto transfer to main accounts. We have had several occassions where the loot ends up assigned to the alt because either the names are so similar or we are so used to seeing the names that we autocorrect it in our heads to the main name but not on the site. So we had some major DKP discrepancies.

The only time we even use the alt names is on signups if we are in need of a specific class and our normal raider isn't available to fill the role, we may change someone's signup to reflect that we need them to bring their alt to the raid.
I'd like the website to automatically guess the alt based on the account information (currently it remembers what you set as an alt the last time you inputed DKP). But I would not be in favour of forcing it, as sometimes I assign apps who aren't in the guild, but are still using our DKP system as an alt of someone else when they are on the sitlist.

It's kind of confusing to describe, but I need that or some other way to assign DKP to someone who is on the sitlist outside the guild (and I don't use GRSS's waitlist features because they aren't robust enough for my guild...)

--
This is why a check box on each raid would work. If you want to force it you can, if you don't you don't click the box.

I'D KILL FOR THIS

--

Krawnik
Warlord of Ascendant
Dagoth

Quote by Enarra
I'd like the website to automatically guess the alt based on the account information (currently it remembers what you set as an alt the last time you inputed DKP). But I would not be in favour of forcing it, as sometimes I assign apps who aren't in the guild, but are still using our DKP system as an alt of someone else when they are on the sitlist.

It's kind of confusing to describe, but I need that or some other way to assign DKP to someone who is on the sitlist outside the guild (and I don't use GRSS's waitlist features because they aren't robust enough for my guild...)

Enarra, you also have to understand that I am not playing WoW. We are an EQ2 guild and as such have ZERO in game features to tie into the site. We have to run a log, run the log thru a pre-parser (that still does not include any items that are looted by people/alts outside of our guild, thus requiring us to have another person write down every item that is looted and by whom and for how much so they can be manually entered) update the parsed log, select any alt from a drop down on each item not looted by a main toon... it is time consuming and leaves a LOT of room for human error to occur. I had over 1000 DKP points that weren't taken from the main toons due to their alts being listed as the item receiver. This means when people are bidding, they didn't have an accurate accounting of what they had to spend, and could have potentially caused people to bid more than they really had (or not bidding as much as they could have due to raid points being awarded to their alt and not their main) due to the very human mistake of not assigning their expenditures/awards to the proper toon.

If there was a simple check box at the header of each /whoraid (similar to the one that asks if we want to include this raid) to simply force the Main toon associated to the account be the one who gets all items and raid points, it would REMOVE 99% of the human error. The only possible error would be in those items that don't show up in the log due to the parser not regonizing items that don't appear in our guild events requiring us to enter them manually.

As to sitlist... our sitlist for EQ2 = /tell guild "Hey if you were signed up and aren't in the raid, send Jynxxie a tell so you can get standby DKP". This has to be written down, along with all the loot awards, posted to our guild forums for me to match up with the loot from the logs, the attendance etc. Again, time consuming.

I realize that EQ2 is probably one of the smaller percentages of the customer base, but we kinda get the shaft with respect to a lot of the features that WoW users get.

EQ or WoW or LotR, the site has to work for all of us.

So I think I'm within my rights to reply that your suggestion to force alts to be associated with accounts would be a problem for my guild.

Which just means that if Chops wants to make changes I hope he takes both points into consideration. Doing something where both ways are possible, or a hybrid of the two. Like for example my suggestion that the alts be connected to mains (like you want) but also possible to be changed individually. Basically just scrolling the current pull downs to the main character automatically. I *think* that would solve your problem and make my job easier too.

If I'm still missing something I apologize, I admit I do not know how your system or game works. But I have done my share of manual DKP entry (our friendly addons don't always work!). So I completely understand how much time and effort goes into what you do for your guild. Finding ways to help are most certainly a good thing.

--
A check box would work too. (I saw your long post before your short one, my bad )

--
Thank you for all the comments. This gives me some to chew on.

--
It's all in the reflexes.
Quote by Enarra
EQ or WoW or LotR, the site has to work for all of us.

So I think I'm within my rights to reply that your suggestion to force alts to be associated with accounts would be a problem for my guild.

Which just means that if Chops wants to make changes I hope he takes both points into consideration. Doing something where both ways are possible, or a hybrid of the two. Like for example my suggestion that the alts be connected to mains (like you want) but also possible to be changed individually. Basically just scrolling the current pull downs to the main character automatically. I *think* that would solve your problem and make my job easier too.

If I'm still missing something I apologize, I admit I do not know how your system or game works. But I have done my share of manual DKP entry (our friendly addons don't always work!). So I completely understand how much time and effort goes into what you do for your guild. Finding ways to help are most certainly a good thing.

Unfortunately having a pull down at all doesn't really work.

Example:

Kascall attends the raid.
Loot item: Sword of Uberness drops. No main toons want it. Kascall bids 15pts for his alt, Corzev.
He log in Corzev and loots the item.
The Log now shows "Corzev looted the fabled sword of uberness" Great! He's in the guild, so the log actually picked it up so no worries!
Upload the log to DKP site.
Shianne - So used to seeing the name Corzev auto corrects it to Kascall in her head and sees nothing that needs an adjustment and hits submit. (This is where the drop down would have come into play, if my brain had not just corrected Corzev to Kascall in my head, but it did because I know everyone's alt to main association so well that I think of them by their main name... so the drop down wouldn't have even come into play as I wouldn't have even touched it)
Great now Kascall got 5pt for the raid, and Corzev spent 15 points that he didn't have, yet Kascall still has those 15 points that were designated as payment for Corzev's item.
Drop downs don't solve the problem of us humans seeing a name and auto-associating it in our heads and not on the site. We need something to do what our brains did and didn't transmit to our mouse hand =D

So, the site is supposed to read my mind *chuckle*

Now I am not saying it should be a permanent setting, unless perhaps it can be a DKP option that a leader can choose to enable.

[Back to Index]