Forgot your password?
Rename an account

Rename an account
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Suggestions]
Secondary: None

Can we get this added as a feature?

We tell everyone to register with their main's name, but they don't always do it. It makes administering the site easier if we have them do this. However, now you have to delete their account and have them remake it.

I'm not guild leader but have full admin privs, so I'd think this would be an option.

--
Followers of Nobility
Interesting that this has never been asked for. This is something that can get slated for implementation.

A user can rename their own account though by clicking "Edit Account" and typing in a new name there.

--
It's all in the reflexes.
Bump

This is one of my pet peeves as well. A lot of people don't capitalize the Account name or type it in ALLCAPS or put in f��ĸÿ letters. This is quite annoying at times. It would be nice if the GM, Web Master, or ranks of your choice could manage this. I guess you would have to email them a notice that the account name had been modified.

--
Bobbuddha, GM, The Death Knights
Here's how I handle this for Ascendant....

No one gets an invite until they have their account created in such a manner which satisfies our criteria (main character's name). If they bitch and moan that it's a hassle, their application gets denied. If they can't handle something that minor, they don't have the right stuff to be in the guild.

If someone changes their name without approval, they get booted. If they get booted they lose all DKP. This pretty well ensures that people stick to the guild rules regarding this issue.

Hard assed? Perhaps. However, it makes the message expressly clear that members need to aide us in maintaining guild organization. If this pisses them off, they can go find a scrub guild that won't care elsewhere.

--

Krawnik
Warlord of Ascendant
Dagoth

Nothing wrong with the way you're doing it, but as an admin, I think we should be able to rename an account if need be.

The current setup, imho, is backwards. Users shouldn't be able to rename their account, but an admin should be able to do it for them if they need it done, for whatever reason. Again, just imho.

--
Followers of Nobility
Quote by Jedis
Nothing wrong with the way you're doing it, but as an admin, I think we should be able to rename an account if need be.

The current setup, imho, is backwards. Users shouldn't be able to rename their account, but an admin should be able to do it for them if they need it done, for whatever reason. Again, just imho.

I agree it would be a good option to have. Just figured I'd share our technique on handling the matter. I'm a little OCD about the whole guild admin thing myself, so even being able to just go in and capitalize a name without the hassle of making the member do it would be a good thing.

--

Krawnik
Warlord of Ascendant
Dagoth

Any chance this is going in soon?

--
Followers of Nobility
I completly agree with Jedis I too have the same exact problems in my guild. This is a very high importance to me as I am very anal about making sure that the roster looks as clean cut as possible. The would give the Guild Leader the opprotunity to correct errors without putting a burden on the new members that just want to play the game. Lets not forget that is what we are all about is having fun and playing the game.

My vote is for changing the account name change for Guild Operator only and give them ability to request name change with note as to why.

URGENT REQUEST!

--
Houdinii@Khaz'Goroth
Stormwind Magic
stormwindmagic.com
Quote by Houdini
My vote is for changing the account name change for Guild Operator only and give them ability to request name change with note as to why.

Doesn't need to be guild operator only... People with full admin privs should be able to do it too. My guild leader pays for the site, but I run everything for the guild - hence just full admin privs and not operator status.

We actually just renewed for 6 months not too long ago because the service and features is outstanding. Guild members were more than happy to donate money to help pay for the site once I put up a ChipIn applet.

Sorry for the sidetrack... Anyway, anyone with the admin priv flag makes sense, as only trustworthy people have it. You can change passwords with the flag, renaming an account is a lesser evil than that!

--
Followers of Nobility
Sorry Jedis I stand corrected you are right. anyone with privilage should be able to make this change as they should be trustworthy enough to be allowed to monitor and upkeep the website.

--
Houdinii@Khaz'Goroth
Stormwind Magic
stormwindmagic.com
My guild handles this by my being extremely anal... which works well for 90% of the apps. Sometimes there is just no point tracking down the extremely casual players.

I have a concern about giving admins the ability to change it for members because the account name is a part of the login. I wouldn't want to remove someone's ability to log onto the site just because I wanted to rename their account. This could possibity work if an automatic email is sent to the account holder though...

Though, capitalization doesn't effect logins so I think the system should just fix any caps issues on it's own when the account is created. (Same for character names)

--
I'm behind this as well. I hate seeing uncapitalized forum names.
I can understand the concern of members not being able to log in because of a name change and you are right an autogenerated email letting them know that their account name has been changed to keep them in compliance would be a fantastic way to overcome that problem thanks for the input Enarra.

--
Houdinii@Khaz'Goroth
Stormwind Magic
stormwindmagic.com
I like the idea of the operator being able to request a name change. Make it so that on the user's next login they're forced to change it before accessing the site, with a note explaining what change is being requested.

--

Krawnik
Warlord of Ascendant
Dagoth

Quote by Krawnik
I like the idea of the operator being able to request a name change. Make it so that on the user's next login they're forced to change it before accessing the site, with a note explaining what change is being requested.

That, right there, is a fantastic idea. A "Pending name change" kind of action, where the former account name isn't changed.

Unquestionably, this "Admin unable to change names" issue is being addressed. But keep your ideas flowing guys. This is great!

--
It's all in the reflexes.

[Back to Index]