Forgot your password?
New in game calendar import to our sites

New in game calendar import to our sites
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Support]
Secondary: None

1 2 >>>
I have been using group calendar mod for people to sign up, and then upload it to our site. With WOW having a built in calendar in the upcoming patch/expac, has there been any talk of us being able to upload that info to our website? I would love to get rid of group calendar all together and just use the in game one.
This will be ready with the new patch, or a few days afterword. GroupCalendar support will be deprecated and then likely dropped.

--
It's all in the reflexes.
Thank you sir
This is wonderful news. I was hoping this question was answered. You beat me to it :0)
When will the new patch go live Chops ??

I'm quite looking forward to it, since I have high expectations to the things ur building in it
This calendar will be AWESOME. I'm really excited about it being implemented. It brings a lot of good functionality to keep the site up to date with guild events. Thank you

--
http://dragonarmy.dkpsystem.com/news.php
http://www.myspace.com/peligrie
It's coming. It still has a few bugs to work out, but it's coming.

--
awesome
bump
It's coming. It's ALMOST done. I'm sorry it's taking so long. Admittedly I've been playing more games than I should be lately

But it's coming very soon.

--
First, let me preface this with my actual job in real life is programming calendar applications. That being said, here are a few things i've noticed about the in game calendar versus the dkp system site calendar that i'm curious about how we can resolve.

1. Notes. I do not see any way to add a note into the acceptance portion of the calendar. "I'll be 5 mins late" or whatever. Can we achieve this or do we need an entire calendar overlay /replacement to do so?

2. Mass Invite. the GRSS module does fairly good with the Mass invite for the raid, but I cannot find that on the calendar. Would we use the calendar for this? or do we need to still run that from GRSS.

3. Inviting people seems buggy. You can only do X rank and above and it seems to show people as invited but they are not really. This is probably a blizzard bug, but maybe there is a way to get around that?

4. Would we schedule them on the site or in the game then populate the other? The site seems to have an easier scheduling mechanism?

5. I wonder if you can add in a custom Filter to show only GRSS synced events on the calendar?

Other stuff I'm sure i'm not thinking of right now, it may be that we need a calendar replacement to do all the nifty stuff.
oh and while you are fixing GRSS, please add persistent settings changes. i have to type /grss noloot everytime I log in.
All of your concerns are completely valid. Blizzard's in-game calendar is nice because it's convenient, but at the same time, it sucks due to the lack of flexibility.

AND, as far as I can tell, there's no way to import from an external source, which means that just like the GroupCalendar mod, this will be only an importer, and not a synchronizer.

And because the in-game calendar can't handle guild alliances conveniently, GroupCalendar support is not getting dropped at all.

AND, this also means that there might still be a need for an in-game Calendar mod designed to work with the DKPsystem.com calendars.

--
so, how about you create an import tool that will alow us to create our own addons to do this?

you simply publish an API with DB structure that we will need to dump our data into.

maybe even let us add some custom fields.

i am thinking of writing an addon to combine what the DKP profiler does with the calendar app.
So Chops...how/why would guilds use the calendar importer? I'm trying to figure out what to tell my guild to do. Some are using the in-game calendar, some are using the site. It's very difficult to manage at the moment, so if there's a good way to continually update the website calendar from the game calendar with little/no user interaction, that would definitely help. I can't see manually updating the site calendar with an importer a few times a day being a very good way to do it, though.
I think some integration with the DKP profiler that will sync the information after WOW logout would work the best.

I don't mean to be a jerk about this, but this feature was one of the reasons i chose DKP. I have never been able to get Group Calendar to work with this site.

The lack of synch between in game and online calendars is the biggest reason i cannot get members to buy into the site.

If this is not resolved fully by renewal, I will not be renewing.

I don't mean to be a jerk about this, but this feature was one of the reasons i chose DKP. I have never been able to get Group Calendar to work with this site.

That's no problem at all. Everyone has a certain feature that is most important to them.

One of the things to remember is that it appears to be a hardwired limitation of the WoW calendar interface that a bi-directional sync isn't possible. Instead, I can provide an uploader, which would allow you to import from the game to the website, but you won't be able to import from the website into the game.

--
[QUOTE=Chops]
One of the things to remember is that it appears to be a hardwired limitation of the WoW calendar interface that a bi-directional sync isn't possible. Instead, I can provide an uploader, which would allow you to import from the game to the website, but you won't be able to import from the website into the game.

I understand. I just need some method to make events created ingame on the site. I am even willing to write it myself, if i had away to get it into the site calendar.
Quote by Chops

I'm a complete noob, but I think I understand this limitation, Chops. I'm assuming this means both that I won't be able to schedule events from within the web site calendar that are then reflected in the in-game calendar, and (more importantly in my situation), guildies won't be able to sign up for events on the web site calendar and have their acceptances be reflected in game.

If this second part is accurate, I'm wondering if there's a straightforward way to allow folks to launch the wowarmory calendar from within the web site calendar. This would allow my guildies to see our events on the web site (via your planned uploader) and then easily launch the wowarmory interface so that they could accept guild invitations. I can use a link to launch wowarmory, and I can tell folks to then navigate to the calendar tab, but I can't seem to just launch the calendar tab directly (even with an intermediate login screen). Any thoughts on this possibility?

Thanks.

1 2 >>>
[Back to Index]