Password:

Forgot your password?
Event scheduling permissions

Event scheduling permissions
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Suggestions]
Secondary: None

Currently, it appears possible to have admin privileges such that you can edit events that you don't have permission to see on the calendar. While I realize that it might be a bit of a hassle, would it be possible to limit what events can be seen in the event scheduler based on the user's rank? And limit the maximum viewing permission for scheduled events to the user's rank?

I can see a definite use for allowing people to schedule events, while not also giving them permission to view/modify all events. For example, raid leaders could schedule raids, but not see guild leader only meetings that have been scheduled. This would make it possible (in theory, I don't know what other issues may be involved) for random guild members to schedule runs using the calendar, whereas currently there's just no way they'd have permission to do that if you wanted to have any restricted viewing events at all.
That's a good point, and something that can be implemented.

--
It's all in the reflexes.
This is a feature that is at the top of my priority list.

I realized a few simple tweaks should allow this to be possible (as a work-around) until you have the time to code it cleanly with permissions and such.
* Tell people to remove "Big Calendar" as a menu option.
* Remove the feature in the minicalendar that brings up the Big Calendar. Or, you can make this feature optional for the minicalendar module.
* put the Big Calendar link in the Admin page that only officers can see.

Tada! Only officers can edit an event because now only officers have access to Big Calendar and the Event Schedule features. Only officers can create an event too but for some of us, that's ok. It would work for my guild.

Of course, this won't work for people who may have the Big Calendar bookmarked already but I bet most people don't.

This would have some flexibility too in that guilds who are happy with the way things are can simply leave the Big Calendar link in the menu.

Hopefully, you'll find this to make sense and be a quick edit.

Andrea

PS - Hands down this is the best guild website system out there. We have recommended you to other guilds. Keep up the good work!

Tada! Only officers can edit an event because now only officers have access to Big Calendar and the Event Schedule features. Only officers can create an event too but for some of us, that's ok. It would work for my guild.

This is actually possible, and doesn't require hiding the big calendar, as the Big Calendar was added precisely to allow users to view a larger view of the events to come.

There are two settings in Admin > Security > Feature Access which allow users to schedule events.

schedule is a "full calendar admin", which allows users with that privilege to edit any and all events. This is something that is typically given to officers and above, though some guilds will give them to raid leaders as well.

myschedule allows the user to create events and modify ONLY their only events. Users with this access cannot edit other's custom events, and cannot edit events created by the admins.

The concern of the original poster, however, was in regard to the "full calendar admins" (those with the "schedule" access) who have access to view all events in the event calendar, even if they do not meet the minimum rank.

For example, lets say you have three officer-level ranks, and all three have "full schedule admin":

1: Guild Master
2: Founder
3: Officer

Let's say that the GM makes an event called "Founders Meeting" where "Founder" is set as the minimum rank to view. Technically, the Officers should not see this event. And on the calendar, they wouldn't. However, if they head to Admin > Schedule > Event Schedule, they'll see the event, and can indeed edit it.

But keep in mind, this is only because the rank "officer" was given "schedule" access (which as I've stated a few times is "full schedule admin").

This problem is going to be fixed with the "massive upgrade" that I've been barking about lately.

Does that make sense?

--
PS - Hands down this is the best guild website system out there. We have recommended you to other guilds. Keep up the good work!

Thank you very much!

--
Quote by Chops
Does that make sense?

Completely! Thanks so much for responding (more quickly than I did, lol).
This is somewhat related, so will continue this thread.

We have events setup and the way we handle rostering is that after signups are closed the raid leader assigns people to the roster and alt (waiting) list. Currently once the sign-ups have ended we can no longer change anyone's signup status.

Is their functionality that will allow a person of <insert rank> to set the event\raid status of a signup? Or even the event creator for that matter.

I've checked permissions and, as far as I can tell, they look correct to me.

Also, signups should be able to be retracted at any time.

--
Malice
Band of Idiots

[Back to Index]