Password:

Forgot your password?
Raid times still not working after time settings adjusted

Raid times still not working after time settings adjusted
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Support]
Secondary: None

My officers (and thereby my members too) are still having issues with the raid times being displayed improperly.

We've set and reset the timezones on the site and all the accounts and still some people are getting strange results.

One of my members is in Europe and though a 5PM server time is 11PM for him, when he sets his time zone to his own it shows as being at 11AM.

Any help would be appreciated with this issue.

-= Aliina =-
http://quesera.dkpsystem.com
These are hard to look at unless Chops can see some obvious thing going on. So I'll just cover the basics so it can be verified.

Website should be set to same timezone as your game server.
Your account should be set to the same timezone as your local time.
When you schedule events you need to make sure you schedule them for the time you want them to start in your local time. The site will automatically recalculate it for everyone else based on the site and their timezones. I think what a lot of people do is try to put an event in at Server time and thus it doesn't show up right for anyone because they really scheduled it at the wrong time locally for them.

--
Six Demon BagRefresh This Item
Jack Burton: Hey, what more can a guy ask for?
Egg Shen: Oh, a six-demon bag!
Jack Burton: Terrific, a six-demon bag. Sensational. What's in it, Egg?
Egg Shen: Wind, fire, all that kind of thing!
The timezone system has a number of bugs in it that have become top priority to fix, but in the meantime, I'll be disabling the ability for users to define their own time zone, simply because of the problems that they are causing. It's better to have a consistent timezone for the whole site that's accurate, rather than have a configurable timezone that the users aren't sure is right.

Design-wise, the time zone system wasn't thought out too well, and that's my 100% my fault.

My sincerest apologies for these problems, but they'll be straightened out soon.

--
It's all in the reflexes.
All of that information is good enough for me to keep quiet

I, for one, greatly appreciate the work you guys put into this. It makes my life as a guild leader/webmaster all that much more easy.

I shall let everyone know that the brilliant minds at dkpsystem are working on it.

Thanks again,

-= Aliina =-
That would be the Brilliant Mind. Chops is a 1 man show.

--
After the account time zone feature was removed, all my scheduled raids shifted one hour earlier, despite my time zone being set correctly from the beginning. (I am in the same time zone as the web site and server.) Did anyone else have this problem?

I reset the raid times so that they appear correctly when I view them. Am I guaranteed that they will be displayed correctly for everyone else now?

Thanks.

-Aricon
I reset the raid times so that they appear correctly when I view them. Am I guaranteed that they will be displayed correctly for everyone else now?

However they are displayed for you, they'll be displayed for everyone.

--
Quote by Aricon
After the account time zone feature was removed, all my scheduled raids shifted one hour earlier, despite my time zone being set correctly from the beginning. (I am in the same time zone as the web site and server.) Did anyone else have this problem?

All of the times on our calendar shifted 2 hours ahead. Our server is in the Pacific time zone which is normally GMT -8 (-7 in the summer), and I had to set the timezone to GMT -6 to get the times to show up properly again.

--
Ieyasu - Organizer, Ex Cineribus
Raids are showing about 6 hours late but as chops is on the case we have nothing to fear.

I've got most of the kinks worked out on the development machine.

That said, if you're seeing events showing wrong, that's because of an inconsistency between the Site time zone, and what was on your personal time zone. Either the Site Time zone was wrong, or your Personal time zone was wrong, or both.

In that case, you'll just have to fix the times. If there are a LOT of them that need to be fixed, then I can do a query to fix them en-masse.

--
Quote by Chops
I've got most of the kinks worked out on the development machine.

That said, if you're seeing events showing wrong, that's because of an inconsistency between the Site time zone, and what was on your personal time zone. Either the Site Time zone was wrong, or your Personal time zone was wrong, or both.

In that case, you'll just have to fix the times. If there are a LOT of them that need to be fixed, then I can do a query to fix them en-masse.

All of our raid times shifted again today, this time ahead by one hour. We made no changes to the schedule or time zone that caused this to happen. I had to change all of the times back an hour again.

If this was caused by a change you made today to fix a bug, please try, in the future, to make changes in a way that don't affect previously entered data.

Thanks,
Aricon
If this was caused by a change you made today to fix a bug, please try, in the future, to make changes in a way that don't affect previously entered data.

That was my fault again. My sincerest apologies. The new timezone fix is coming very soon. There are a few things to verify and it's ready to go.

--
As we are seeing problems now to. I think it nessecary to post.

This may be overly simple but why doesn't your system store the time we enter in the database as just straight up data and then just display the data as we entered it.

So went our raid leader post a new raid to start a 5:00 every instance of the time being called for display it just says 5:00. I would say no parsing is needed just post the exact time entered and there will be no problewms for anyone. As your system is currently it is taking the entered time and doing whatever with it and everyone is just wanting the entered time to be the time that is displayed. K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid). Sorry, that isn't my acronym but it does apply. I think you have over complicated things.

Quote by Kriknosnah
As we are seeing problems now to. I think it nessecary to post.

This may be overly simple but why doesn't your system store the time we enter in the database as just straight up data and then just display the data as we entered it.

So went our raid leader post a new raid to start a 5:00 every instance of the time being called for display it just says 5:00. I would say no parsing is needed just post the exact time entered and there will be no problewms for anyone. As your system is currently it is taking the entered time and doing whatever with it and everyone is just wanting the entered time to be the time that is displayed. K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid). Sorry, that isn't my acronym but it does apply. I think you have over complicated things.

I would disagree. Not everyone wants the entered time. Our guild was hugely affected by not having local and server timezones. I constantly in addition to posting raids had to break down several timezones and post them for people that didn't know the time difference.

--

Also keep in mind that that doesn't account for time zone discrepancies. If it just stored it as text, but didn't account for time zone, how does the site know if an event has passed (say the event is at 7pm, how can the site know if it's 7pm Eastern Time, Pacific Time, or Australian Time?) The processing is necessary, but the truth is that I did it in a hackish way (that took WAY too much code), when I've found a much simpler way of doing it, which also requires less code, and therefor less chances for bugs.

The timezone thing that happened today was very much my fault, as I managed to switch all users to Central Time, which would account for the various discrepancies (because I fixed that today, realizing what I had done). If anyone scheduled anything in the time between when I disabled the ability to edit personal time zone and a few hours ago, that would account for the problems.

Like I said, if there are a lot of events on your site that got thrown off, let me know and I can fix them behind the scenes.

--
Just checking in on this problem Chops. Wondering if it's made it off of the development server yet or if I missed it and didn't realise.

--

Quote by gutrot
Just checking in on this problem Chops. Wondering if it's made it off of the development server yet or if I missed it and didn't realise.

Not yet, I have an interface issue to sort out, I can't make the same mistake twice. If your times are currently off

--
Quote by Chops
Like I said, if there are a lot of events on your site that got thrown off, let me know and I can fix them behind the scenes.

Yea, all of our events were thrown off by two hours. We had people complaining on Saturday at us.

[Back to Index]