Password:

Forgot your password?
Application Access Issue

Application Access Issue
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Support]
Secondary: None

We would like to make people have to register an account on the site prior to posting an application.

We are using a Thread tag called "applications" and it is set to allow "non-member" to view and post. But it seems that the general public are allowed to post an app.

Am I setting it up wrong?

Thank you for your help,
Gawin
You're not setting it up wrong, you just don't understand how the process works... let me try and help:
  1. Right now once you create an application it is open for anyone and everyone to fill out (the general public).
  2. dkpsystem then takes the submitted application and converts it into a forum post. In your case the application engine posts the thread into "Applications"

So in other words, the individual entering and submitting the application never needs to be able to access the forums at all.

Note that by setting the "Applications" thread tag to Non-Member you have effectively opened up the applications threads to the general public. It should probably set to at least member, if not officer.

There is discussion around changing the way this works in this thread. Feel free to give it a read and provide your input. I personally do not see the point of having every random joe that fills out an application (I deny more than I accept) also have an account that I later have to prune, but that's just me.
Also I believe the site now support making the application link visible to only Members or making is visible to only non members.

If you want to make it so that people have to register with the site before making and application to the guild then try this.

Go to Admin > Menus > Menu Administration. If you are using the Currently Recruiting menu on your site then locate it and click edit. Find the box that says Minimum Rank then click the drop down and change it from Everyone to the lowest rank you have defined. Note if I were to do something like this I would make a new minimum rank called applicant so that I would not confuse new applicants with active guild members. This will help in establishing just how much of the forums you want them to be able to read and see later.

Also under Menu Administration you should be able to find your Main Menu and edit the Online Application link. Again find the Minimum Rank to View line and change it to the lowest actual rank on your site.

So lets say you made the Applicant Rank and set the above options to that rank to view.
If you want your applicants to be able to view and respond to questions or thing on the application thread after they have applied then you will want to edit the thread tag for applications and set the minimum ranks to View and Post accordingly.

You can also set up the rest of the thread tags and give applicants as little or as much ability to post and read posts as possible.

Chops,
This bring back a question I think someone asked a long time ago. Can we get an option in the thread tags for Minimum Rank to Vote? In a system like this the people using it obviously would be intending to allow the applicant to see their own application and thus respond to questions that officers or others might have. I think it is still beneficial to only allow certain people to see the poll and vote on it.

--
Six Demon BagRefresh This Item
Jack Burton: Hey, what more can a guy ask for?
Egg Shen: Oh, a six-demon bag!
Jack Burton: Terrific, a six-demon bag. Sensational. What's in it, Egg?
Egg Shen: Wind, fire, all that kind of thing!

[Back to Index]