Password:

Forgot your password?
Forums

Forums
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Advanced Layout]
Secondary: None

A few of us created a cross guild raiding environment for the Horde on Stormarge. Doing this on the Horde side for a server that was outnumberd 4+-1 was difficult as most all available raiders were already in raiding guilds. Since the BC came out some of us splintered off into a seperate guild and still would like to keep the cross guild raiding atmosphere (CGR) as the guild is not very big. However we would like to use one website for both. I love the way I can filter access and I can use a lot of this however is there or will there be.....

1.) Adjust the viewable news so that guild news could not be seen by the CGR raiders access but we can post news for CGR raiders?

2.) Instead of a per thread listing is there going to be a general forum seperator.
i.e.
Guild Forum
Raid Forum
Officer Forum
Class Forum
Than inside of those forums different posts can be made and access be given according to ranking given on the website?

--
Hey when life hands you lemons make lemonade, than throw in some bourbon to spice it up!
You can set the minimum rank for each piece of news ... So you could set the guilded people to a Guild Member Rank, and the Raiders to a Raid Member rank ...

You then could post news that the guild could see, but the raid could not.

You woudn't be able to post news that the raid could see and the guild could not tho.

You can do something similar for the forums with ranks as well, but I don't think there are plans to implement forum sections like you are used to. These forum use thread tags. You can set the ranks for these thread tags just like I described for the news.

The thing is, the ranks are a sequnce, 1 2 3 4 5 6.

They are setup so that when you set it to 4, anyone in rank 1 2 3 or 4 can see it.

There is no way to say rank 3, 5 and 6 can see this page/message/forum/etc ...

--

Not yet anyway.

--
It's all in the reflexes.
Quote by Chops

Not yet anyway.

lol

funny I have sickening memories of trying to deal with this when I was coding >.<

I was essentially, instead of storing member ranks in the profile area of the database, I had a 2 column category with USER_ID, and RANK_ASSIGN ... so that I could assign each user to as many ranks as I wanted to ... thus allowing them to see through, or around different ranks ... In the end I scrapped the idea and was heading more towards what you have now ... sometimes you just have to say, ok. This thing can't do everything ... lol pick yer poisons ^_^

--
Thanks for the responses!

Yeah in playing around I can get half way to where I would like to be. Is the sort of forum segregation/access something that is being looked at or in the long term plans, or one of those ideas that makes you roll your eyes and swear at the fool who ask's for it, lol?

Not that you do not have a lot going on and I am loving the updates but would something like that take up more resources on the servers or is it just a code writing undertaking that makes your keyboard go on vacation?

--
Hey when life hands you lemons make lemonade, than throw in some bourbon to spice it up!
It looks like you haven't played much with your thread tag configuration yet, but play with that a bit.

You could go as simply as making one thread tag for each of the following:

[Guild]
[Raid]
[Officer]
[Class]

Or you could get even deeper, and configure each of those as Tag "categories" with subtags under each.

For example:

Guild > Events
Guild > Guild Policy

And then

Raid > Raid Policy
Raid > Raid Locations

and then

Class > Rogue
Class > Warlock
Class > Warrior

Give http://www.dkpsystem.com/dynpage.php?id=13 a read and that should help you with configuring your forums.

It's different from the multi-forum approach, but I contend that it is vastly more powerful than that.

--
It's all in the reflexes.
FANTABULOUS, ok you got me on the "I did not explore enough". At times like this I hate to admit it but I am a PM...a sysadmin's worse nightmare. However after I pester IT to get something done I usually take the whole department out for an extended lunch. Since that is not possible how about a resounding "atta boy"!!??

Thanks for the great product and support!!!!

--

[Back to Index]