Password:

Forgot your password?
Need help adding custom forums to dkp site

Need help adding custom forums to dkp site
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [General]
Secondary: None

Hey im interested in adding a phppb board or similar to my dkpsystems.com site. Was wondering if anyone could provide feedback and or a step by step guide to doing so. Im afraid my knowledge of webdesign is a bit lacking on this aspect and none of the venues for information have been user friendly.

Thanks for the help its much appreciated.
Hey im interested in adding a phppb board or similar to my dkpsystems.com site. Was wondering if anyone could provide feedback and or a step by step guide to doing so. Im afraid my knowledge of webdesign is a bit lacking on this aspect and none of the venues for information have been user friendly.

I am trying to recall from previous discussions of the same topic and am sure that Chops will chime in sometime today. The way he has this system setup I don't believe it is possible to integrate PHPBB directly with your site.

On the horizon are some new customizable options for the current forums though I don't know if those include things that would provide a PHPBB look and feel.

--
Six Demon BagRefresh This Item
Jack Burton: Hey, what more can a guy ask for?
Egg Shen: Oh, a six-demon bag!
Jack Burton: Terrific, a six-demon bag. Sensational. What's in it, Egg?
Egg Shen: Wind, fire, all that kind of thing!
Quote by Saudorun
Quote by BlackLionguard

I am trying to recall from previous discussions of the same topic and am sure that Chops will chime in sometime today. The way he has this system setup I don't believe it is possible to integrate PHPBB directly with your site.

On the horizon are some new customizable options for the current forums though I don't know if those include things that would provide a PHPBB look and feel.

Ahh I see, if thats the case most unfortunate. I just dont like the look of thread tags, personal preference. Umm as an alternative whats the easiest way to add a "Forum" option to my main menu list so I can link to a seperate forum website?
Simple, remove the forum link in the admin section under "Basic Menu Administration" Then make a new menu and link it to your forum site.

This is what we did with our guild roster, as we are using WowRoster.

I will tell you that many of us didn't care for the new forums when first presented with them, but now we love them. It is a matter of adjusting. The more time you spend with it the more you will like it. MHO

--
Eleipher, The Warlock Extraordinaire
The New Beginning
Thorium Brother Hood

Guild Webmaster
Quote by carlpalmer
Simple, remove the forum link in the admin section under "Basic Menu Administration" Then make a new menu and link it to your forum site.

I will tell you that many of us didn't care for the new forums when first presented with them, but now we love them. It is a matter of adjusting. The more time you spend with it the more you will like it. MHO

I see yea, guess im just a creature of habit heh. Hmm if I dont currently have my account upgraded to forum status whats the easiest way of just adding a menu link? Seems I have to mess around with the standard coding to do that or is there an easier implementation? By the way thanks so much for the responses. Was rather frustrating having to browse through numerous websites for this info.
Quote by carlpalmer

I see yea, guess im just a creature of habit heh. Hmm if I dont currently have my account upgraded to forum status whats the easiest way of just adding a menu link? Seems I have to mess around with the standard coding to do that or is there an easier implementation? By the way thanks so much for the responses. Was rather frustrating having to browse through numerous websites for this info.

Definately an easier way.

Go to Admin > Menus > Static Menu Items and Content. Make a new item. In the Menu Category name call it Forums. In the Link Label enter Forums. Check the box that this is a link to another page. Enter the URL in the "If this is a link or a frame, enter the URL:" box. This should create a menu category called Forums and place a link to whatever forums you want to link to.

--
Six Demon BagRefresh This Item
Jack Burton: Hey, what more can a guy ask for?
Egg Shen: Oh, a six-demon bag!
Jack Burton: Terrific, a six-demon bag. Sensational. What's in it, Egg?
Egg Shen: Wind, fire, all that kind of thing!
I see yea, guess im just a creature of habit

Habits can change my friend. And they will. Give it time, and you will see the major shortcomings of standard multi-forum approaches.

You'll notice that some forum websites are already realizing the failure of multi-forums by making "recent forum post" sections that outline all the recent posts because no one wants to click on 15 sub-forums to see the most recent 30 posts. That hack solution is merely a plastic band-aid over a gaping wound.

The Thread Tags approach is the disinfectant, stitches, and gause wrap needed to clean and close that awful dirty wound, there is no other way around it.

I suggest giving it a shot, there's no risk, if you don't like it, just let me know and I'll give you the refund needed.

--
It's all in the reflexes.

[Back to Index]