Password:

Forgot your password?
Thinking Ahead: Advanced Layout Options Improvements

Thinking Ahead: Advanced Layout Options Improvements
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Suggestions]
Secondary: None

There are a number of improvements that I'm planning on making to the Advanced Layout Options, and I was wondering if any of you have any ideas on expanding the functionality, and possibly the "ease-of-use" of it. The primary restriction on suggestions is that it will always require HTML knowledge.

For things on the plate right now that are a FOR SURE:

1) A "Generate Default" option which will generate the default Menufile.html and Layout.html files from the settings you have defined on your site as the "Standard Layout"

2) A <!-- Menu:Static --> option which would be for inside the Menufile. This is primarily for retrieving the current menu's standard definition. While for items like "Menu" and "Resources", <!-- Menu:Static --> would simply return "Menu" and "Resources" respectively (exactly like Menu:Title), For the inside of the Login box and the Members Online boxes, <!-- Menu:Static --> would return "Login" and "Online" respective, (as opposed to Menu:Title's output of "Logged in: Chops" and "5 Members Online").

3) The ability to define the Login Form your own way (so if you want to make the it completely horizontal in the upper right corner, for example.

4) Some decent documentation with examples (I admit the current documentation isn't exactly the most friendly, it's more like the bare-minimum).

If you have further ideas specifically for the Advanced Layout Options (limitations you encountered that you'd like to specify)

--
It's all in the reflexes.
Try looking at the coding in this link and see if u can make an advanced setup like this for the layout options: http://www.picgames.com/forum/myspace-layout-editor.php

--
Painkillerle

1) A "Generate Default" option which will generate the default Menufile.html and Layout.html files from the settings you have defined on your site as the "Standard Layout"

Can't wait!

--
My site's finally somewhat done, at least this build. During development I had some stuff come to mind. I'm not sure if you've used Wordpress, but you should install it somewhere and check out some of the authoring features.

Some ideas.

1. Ability to edit files directly (e.g. directly edit layout.html and menu.html and the style.css)

2. Ability to run a preview of your color schemes on your layout.

3. Removing all the popup messageboxes when previewing/editing adv. layout.

4. Maybe sometime in the future the ability to template the "content", or specifically the news layout.

<3

--
http://apexwow.com
There are a number of improvements that I'm planning on making to the Advanced Layout Options, and I was wondering if any of you have any ideas on expanding the functionality, and possibly the "ease-of-use" of it. The primary restriction on suggestions is that it will always require HTML knowledge.

For things on the plate right now that are a FOR SURE:

2) A <!-- Menu:Static --> option which would be for inside the Menufile. This is primarily for retrieving the current menu's standard definition. While for items like "Menu" and "Resources", <!-- Menu:Static --> would simply return "Menu" and "Resources" respectively (exactly like Menu:Title), For the inside of the Login box and the Members Online boxes, <!-- Menu:Static --> would return "Login" and "Online" respective, (as opposed to Menu:Title's output of "Logged in: Chops" and "5 Members Online").

3) The ability to define the Login Form your own way (so if you want to make the it completely horizontal in the upper right corner, for example.

4) Some decent documentation with examples (I admit the current documentation isn't exactly the most friendly, it's more like the bare-minimum).

If you have further ideas specifically for the Advanced Layout Options (limitations you encountered that you'd like to specify)

It would be nice if you gave the option on any item that is a link to use a Image instead. I think that would be pretty simple to add and not require manually editing the .CSS sheet.

Also an option that would let you set the backgroud image on "Sub Menus" Like the stats section, Upcoming Events, or basically any menu.

Maybe the option to specify border images on post and guide areas.

-Toddler
http://envyweb.org

--

[Back to Index]