Password:

Forgot your password?
How do you format the scroll bars?

How do you format the scroll bars?
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [General]
Secondary: None

How do you format the scroll bars? Can you?
The most you can do is set CSS properties to change the scrollbar color, and 3D appearance. You CAN'T change them completely to look way different.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa358814.aspx

The above will take you to links describing how to set CSS properties to make Scrollbar changes.

Keep in mind that these changes are MICROSOFT extentions... as a result, aside from IE, most other (perhaps ALL other) browsers won't recognize these CSS styles. It won't break your page for other browsers besides IE, but they won't look like the IE scrollbars either.

Your choice... if most of your peeps use IE, you might as well get your site looking the way you want it to for the majority. However, just know that it will likely only look like you want it to in IE.
I know I can use CSS, but I haven't fully learn't CSS yet. Is there no feature that will allow me to do this ? >.<
Quote by Zeph
I know I can use CSS, but I haven't fully learn't CSS yet. Is there no feature that will allow me to do this ? >.<

Lol.. that IS your feature that allows you to do it.

No there are no OTHER (easy) ways to do this. Furthermore, even the CSS stuff... being a very simple implementation... is also very simplistic in its change, only affecting the color and some of the basic 3D elements.

There are no other programmatic ways to change the browser scrollbars, aside from creating code that must be installed on each computer that modifies the browser itself. That's not a simple change by any means however, and would require each user of your site to modify their browser with an install... something almost no users would choose to do.

You DO have another option... that is to make a Flash based site. Then you can make Flash-based scrollbars that look any way you desire. However, once again you must know how to use Flash... AND your site content would be static since Flash is not integratable (SP?) with PHP... only XML.

Your only other option is to create a set of images that you add script to so that when they are dragged around the screen, cause your content to scroll. This however, is a bunch of scripting, and not REALLY worth the effort. It is doable, but there would be so much scripting necessary, I wonder if it is worth it?

If you don't know CSS, I doubt any of the alternatives are within your abilities to do so.
Unless by some magic mozilla based browsers have changed recently this also only works in IE.

Edit: Oh. Noblekain basically said the same thing 2 posts up.

[Back to Index]