[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Suggestions]
Secondary: None

UniUploader Support
2/7 (28.6%) Yes, I'm tired of doing it manually
5/7 (71.4%) No, i like doing it manually
0/7 (0.0%) I never update

Before my guild bought our account here at DKPSystem we were looking for the best guild hosting and a lot of them offered UniUploader or some other automated uploading service. We chose DKPSystems because of the other features that no one had. We noticed that DKPSystem didn't have an auto update feature and thought our users could handle it. After having to explain to very unexperienced web/computer users how to navigate to an area on their computer and find a lua file then upload it to the site and to do this regularly.

I'm curious as to how many other people have having this same prople and if the demand for it would show DKPSystem that its a very sought after feature.

I know that UniUploader has almost become a standard out there and may people have used it in the past (they even make it so you can customize it so the user only has to run it and it does the rest).

Whats your guys take on this?
Quote by kartsba
Before my guild bought our account here at DKPSystem we were looking for the best guild hosting and a lot of them offered UniUploader or some other automated uploading service. We chose DKPSystems because of the other features that no one had. We noticed that DKPSystem didn't have an auto update feature and thought our users could handle it. After having to explain to very unexperienced web/computer users how to navigate to an area on their computer and find a lua file then upload it to the site and to do this regularly.

I'm curious as to how many other people have having this same prople and if the demand for it would show DKPSystem that its a very sought after feature.

I know that UniUploader has almost become a standard out there and may people have used it in the past (they even make it so you can customize it so the user only has to run it and it does the rest).

I could be wrong but I believe some of the functionality that is provided by auto uploading systems are considered a violation of the WOW TOS. The main reason for this is that in order to work the data uploaded has to be saved. To save the data you have to log in or out of the system. This requires an Executable that detects when the wow.exe is running or not. In the TOS running third party software that interacts with the WOW environment is a violation of the TOS. Other such programs directly change or affect the WoW loader to accomplish this and that is a guaranteed violation.

Chops has posted on things like this a few times and thus I don't think he would do it.

While auto profiles are cool and take the idiot noobism out of doing these things there are potential violations of the game to consider. There were already concerns by some about the GRSS.exe that downloads the data from your DKP system in that some were concerned that user in their guild got banned for it. Others were concerned about the virus potential from an untrusted exe file. With all the hacking of account in the WoW community I think some people are scared of what they use anymore. Also it was reported about 6 months ago that someone had hacked the Thottbot collection mod and placed a trojan keylogger in it. Everytime it uploaded WoW data to thottbot it also sent all your account information somewhere else. This was caught but not until 2 weeks after it happened and hundreds of people lost gear and entire characters.

I'm content to do it manually and help those that want to figure out how to get it working and those that don't really care to use it at all.

--
Six Demon BagRefresh This Item
Jack Burton: Hey, what more can a guy ask for?
Egg Shen: Oh, a six-demon bag!
Jack Burton: Terrific, a six-demon bag. Sensational. What's in it, Egg?
Egg Shen: Wind, fire, all that kind of thing!
Saud touches on some key elements, but I have thought about implementing an uploader of some sort.

When I launched the GRSS with the downloader, I can 100% understand the wariness of a few users who generally refuse to use executables.

Indeed, executables can be infected, spoofed, whatever.

While I still give it thought, and may eventually build an uploader of some sort, ultimately, it's a relatively low priority. The functionality to upload a profile isn't THAT complicated.

Also, it's my job to answer questions of this nature, so if your members have questions, they're free to call me and I can walk them through doing it.

--
It's all in the reflexes.
Quote by Saudorun

I could be wrong but I believe some of the functionality that is provided by auto uploading systems are considered a violation of the WOW TOS. The main reason for this is that in order to work the data uploaded has to be saved. To save the data you have to log in or out of the system. This requires an Executable that detects when the wow.exe is running or not. In the TOS running third party software that interacts with the WOW environment is a violation of the TOS. Other such programs directly change or affect the WoW loader to accomplish this and that is a guaranteed violation.

Well, I guess I may have struck a cord by saying "auto" I guess what i mean to say is a way where you can run a executable and it will gather the lua file(s) and upload them to the dkpsystem server. I suppose the auto part would be that the person did have to go to the site to update it. (1 double click) vs. (navigating a site and then navigating a browse dialog then selecting the correct file and uploading). I think my users would rather do the former than latter.

I can see the auto executing app after wow.exe closes being a problem, but after the wow.exe is 100% closed doubleclicking an icone is no different than loading up outlook or some other game.

As long as the app isnt automatically loaded on close I dont see a TOS issue here.

Chops, you're already doing some functionality like this now with GRSS what problems have you had with this?
Chops, you're already doing some functionality like this now with GRSS what problems have you had with this?

While it might not seem like much, the GRSS is technically the other way around. GRSS only downloads, while this would be an upload. But essentially, yeah, it's similar. The difference here, lies in the fact that you'd have to enter a username and password to upload, and I don't know about you, but I imagine some people might be a little leery about that.

In any case, I've not ruled this out, in an capacity, it's just not a huge priority at this point.

But like Saud said, a few months ago Blizzard banned a bunch of user accounts, and some people thought it was because of the GRSS.
Even though it wasn't, there was still that scare of "OMG, MY HOSTING COMPANY GOT ME BANNED." Needless to say, it wasn't a fun week.

--
Quote by Chops

While it might not seem like much, the GRSS is technically the other way around. GRSS only downloads, while this would be an upload. But essentially, yeah, it's similar. The difference here, lies in the fact that you'd have to enter a username and password to upload, and I don't know about you, but I imagine some people might be a little leery about that.

In any case, I've not ruled this out, in an capacity, it's just not a huge priority at this point.

But like Saud said, a few months ago Blizzard banned a bunch of user accounts, and some people thought it was because of the GRSS.
Even though it wasn't, there was still that scare of "OMG, MY HOSTING COMPANY GOT ME BANNED." Needless to say, it wasn't a fun week.

Outside of something that you all would write for us users to use, is there a way i can interface with the upload screen to send data via cURL or a perl script? I didnt want to start digging around in your screens and later find out i violated some TOS with your company.
Outside of something that you all would write for us users to use, is there a way i can interface with the upload screen to send data via cURL or a perl script? I didnt want to start digging around in your screens and later find out i violated some TOS with your company.

Probably, but you'd have to log into the system first. It's funny that you mention that, because that's pretty much the mechanism that I'd use (perl and curl, compiled to executable). But to make it work, you'd have to log into the site first: reading the html for the login form would give you that info (and store the cookies), then when logged in, you'd have to upload it to the memberbankupload.php file.

--
No you didn't strike a chord. Sorry I can sometimes seem argumentative even when I'm not trying to be (my wife compains about the same thing face to face to no worries). I am simply pointing out the potential for issues that could arise from the Doomsday Callers.

So if an uploader is built like the GRSS Downloader some considerations have to be taken.

What if a player has multiple accounts? How will you tell the uploader to upload Account A and B or B but not A?

The fact that the GuildBank upload on the site today works by associated characters to an account presents a small problem. The application or applet that you use to upload the data has to be able to send UID/Password authentication for it to work.

It's not a bad idea and I have thought about it myself. Like the GRSS Downloader and subsequent perl script the easiest way to avoid the "OMG, My Guildwesite got me banned!" is the move it outside of WoW and make sure people are smart enough to not run it when WoW is running (cuz well that would be pointless anyway since data isn't saved yet).

--
Six Demon BagRefresh This Item
Jack Burton: Hey, what more can a guy ask for?
Egg Shen: Oh, a six-demon bag!
Jack Burton: Terrific, a six-demon bag. Sensational. What's in it, Egg?
Egg Shen: Wind, fire, all that kind of thing!
Quote by Chops

Probably, but you'd have to log into the system first. It's funny that you mention that, because that's pretty much the mechanism that I'd use (perl and curl, compiled to executable). But to make it work, you'd have to log into the site first: reading the html for the login form would give you that info (and store the cookies), then when logged in, you'd have to upload it to the memberbankupload.php file.

Great minds think alike. Well, if memberbankupload.php allowed for the username and password to be passed in via query string you could force in the data right behind it. Hmm... Or pass the cookie data via curl. I'll have to look further into this.
Quote by Chops

cURL worked well, I'll stick to this for myself for the time being.
Ok let me get this right... just so i know what i am doing... Manual auto w/e

When you start a raid all you have to do is take a snapshot. Then when you down bosses and other significant points it does an auto snapshot correct? then at the end of the raid you take a snapshot?

Also i was wondering is there a way to make a file that compares the start and end snapshots to ward points for being there during the entire raid

--
Also i was wondering is there a way to make a file that compares the start and end snapshots to ward points for being there during the entire raid

Yeah, If you make sure to assign all raids to a calendar event. Click on that date on the calendar, and then head to the drop down and you'll see something like this:

--
Ok let me get this right... just so i know what i am doing... Manual auto w/e

When you start a raid all you have to do is take a snapshot. Then when you down bosses and other significant points it does an auto snapshot correct? then at the end of the raid you take a snapshot?

Yeah, though isn't the death of the last boss usually the end of the raid? In which case, taking another snapshot after Ragnaros dies would be redundant, since technically that's the end of the raid.

--
Quote by kartsba

I think Uploading it manually is a good thing. When you do this you verify any human error that may have taken place while conducting the raid. Someone gets credit that shouldnt have ....item doesnt get charged point etc etc

--
Ability is nothing without opportunity.
Napoleon Bonaparte

I think Uploading it manually is a good thing. When you do this you verify any human error that may have taken place while conducting the raid. Someone gets credit that shouldnt have ....item doesnt get charged point etc etc

He's not talking about DKP Uploads. That pretty much HAS to be manual. He's referring to the GuildBank profile uploads. Those can be automated without the necessity of human interaction.

--
Almost done:

--

[Back to Index]