Forgot your password?
Sticky All / Sticky this thread only

Sticky All / Sticky this thread only
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Suggestions]
Secondary: None

Hey Chops,

Grats on all the guilds coming over to use DKPSystem. We've shown a lot of folks on Gurubashi our site and they were blown away. I know a few of them have signed up already. I showed the site to a friend of mine who's a RL s/w dev and let's just say you might have another Eonar guild over here soon as well.

I was wondering if the sticky function could be tweaked a bit...

Our guild has lots of stickies. Guild Rules, major news, boss strats, Class news etc... that wind up stickied.

I spend 95% of my Forum time looking at the "All" view so now half my window is filled with all the stickies from each class etc... I've spoken to most of our CL and Officers and pretty much everyone uses the all view the majority of the time.

Is there any chance you could have a "Sticky All" and a "Sticky This Forum Only" choice on a message, so that when you were in the "All" Thread Tag view, you wouldn't need to see the 2-3 Sticky posts from all 8 class Thread Tags?

This would be a huge benefit to us and is honestly the only thing I like more about old "traditional" forums more than the "thread tags" approach.

As always, keep up the good work.

-Greenhouse
Apocalypse / Gurubashi
Hmm that's an interesting idea.

I dunno if chops would like it. From what i've seen he's a tagging kinda guy, and with the way the site works... sticky/"forum" doesnt sound like it would ... work at all..

What I try to do for my site is limit my exposure to tons of stickies.

I use the advanced filter to only show me guild, officer+ and my particular class forums. If i need to go look at the mage class, I can change my filter and see them.

I also activly cull old stickies that no longer apply. Keeps the forum trolls happy.

--
Thanks for all the referrals man! It's always appreciated!

As for the sticky stuff, I see what you mean, and I understand it completely.

The big problem, however, is given the flexibility of tags, someone could very well never see a particular sticky. Like Sachmo said, if you keep your list down a bit using Advanced Filter you can limit the number of stickies that need to be shown (if you're a rogue, why would you care about the pally tags, you could just disable them, and check em over every once in a while). For everyone, that could easily hide around 14 stickied tags (on your site).

Another common approach that people use to make Stickies for is guild Policies, boss strats, etc. These could also be minimized by moving them into more applicable features of the site: Put boss strats into "Guides" and put Guild Policies into "Static Menu Items." When these items change, just make a post "Guild Policies changed - read section X or you lose a finger."

But, to be honest, I do see where you're coming from, and right now, I'm trying to figure out a consistent mechanism to limit the sticky output so you don't have half a page of stickies.

--
It's all in the reflexes.
Thanks for all the referrals man! It's always appreciated!

As for the sticky stuff, I see what you mean, and I understand it completely.

The big problem, however, is given the flexibility of tags, someone could very well never see a particular sticky. Like Sachmo said, if you keep your list down a bit using Advanced Filter you can limit the number of stickies that need to be shown (if you're a rogue, why would you care about the pally tags, you could just disable them, and check em over every once in a while). For everyone, that could easily hide around 14 stickied tags (on your site).

Another common approach that people use to make Stickies for is guild Policies, boss strats, etc. These could also be minimized by moving them into more applicable features of the site: Put boss strats into "Guides" and put Guild Policies into "Static Menu Items." When these items change, just make a post "Guild Policies changed - read section X or you lose a finger."

But, to be honest, I do see where you're coming from, and right now, I'm trying to figure out a consistent mechanism to limit the sticky output so you don't have half a page of stickies.

Another consideration to give is "When does a sticky become a Dynamic Page / Guide all it's own?" We did this with all our guild policy stickies. Many Stickies relate to guild policies and can be updated there after they have been stickies for a while.

What would be nice to ensure that people read this is a little alert popup that says that guild policies have been updated. Then force the user to answer I Agree/Understand or I Disagree/Do Not Understand at the bottom of the guild policies page and have it update in the Account profile as to their status of their compliance and understanding of guild policies.

--
Six Demon BagRefresh This Item
Jack Burton: Hey, what more can a guy ask for?
Egg Shen: Oh, a six-demon bag!
Jack Burton: Terrific, a six-demon bag. Sensational. What's in it, Egg?
Egg Shen: Wind, fire, all that kind of thing!
Another consideration to give is "When does a sticky become a Dynamic Page / Guide all it's own?" We did this with all our guild policy stickies. Many Stickies relate to guild policies and can be updated there after they have been stickies for a while.

Even more interesting, if you wish to allow comments on the policies, create a thread called "Discussion of Policy X," then at the bottom of the content of the "Static Page" simply place a link to that thread with something like "Discussion of these policies"

--
It's all in the reflexes.

[Back to Index]