Forgot your password?
Forum Maintanence

Forum Maintanence
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Suggestions]
Secondary: None

Just a thought here..

but it may be nice to have a feature in admin that could "prune" forums so as to cut down on size and just to clear out old stuff..

Ideally we'd be able to select tags we want to prune.. and even maybe set up a Monthly automatic process (trigger) to just clean anything older than a certain number of days.

my group tends to be very forum active.. and well. have encountered performance issues in the past on other boards do to DB load

--
Louis T.

The Spreading Taint - WoW Group Admin
Rough Trade - Assistant Admin
I wouldn't let the DB size become an issue for you. On the PiaS forums, there are almost 40k posts and still no performance issues. I try to make it a point to make it as efficient as possible to handle almost any size of forum.

My philosophy has always been that threads should never be deleted, however, I will add to that list some method of initiating a "prune" to delete all threads that haven't seen any activity beyond a certain threshold.

--
It's all in the reflexes.
Also, if you wouldn't mind my suggestions here about the structure of your thread tags, if your forum were mine, these are a few of the changes I'd make.

I'd probably move the "Class Mentor Discussion" either into the open (removing it's "Category"), or into the Class Discussion area. Having a single tag inside a category seems like unnecessary effort. I'd also make move all the Public thread tags into the open as well. Also, for the XForums, (don't know what they are) but they also violate the "1 tag in a category" rule, I'd move those into the public as well. My first inclination is also to modify the Guild-Only posts into the open as well, but I'd say that one works effectively either way.

Nothing important, just my suggestions on how I think your thread tags would be more efficiently utilized.

--
Also, if you wouldn't mind my suggestions here about the structure of your thread tags, if your forum were mine, these are a few of the changes I'd make.

I'd probably move the "Class Mentor Discussion" either into the open (removing it's "Category"), or into the Class Discussion area. Having a single tag inside a category seems like unnecessary effort. I'd also make move all the Public thread tags into the open as well. Also, for the XForums, (don't know what they are) but they also violate the "1 tag in a category" rule, I'd move those into the public as well. My first inclination is also to modify the Guild-Only posts into the open as well, but I'd say that one works effectively either way.

Nothing important, just my suggestions on how I think your thread tags would be more efficiently utilized.

I'd like to see a feature added that would let me have categories of categories.

I've always been wanting to make 1 thread tag burried in about 20 categories with nothing else in them.

--
[/sarcasm]

--
yeah.. I've been thinking that a little change to those areas with "single" topics/tags in them..

when I had alot of them exposed.. officers felt it was Too much info

maybe after they've all adabited a bit I'll move em around more.. but for now their so use to that damn phpBoard system

--
Louis T.

The Spreading Taint - WoW Group Admin
Rough Trade - Assistant Admin
maybe after they've all adabited a bit I'll move em around more.. but for now their so use to that damn phpBoard system

Give it time. Have them read my article on Thread Tags. http://www.dkpsystem.com/dynpage.php?id=13

--

[Back to Index]